Monday, April 19, 2010

In class today, we discussed some of Robert Frost's poetry. I love his descriptions! His use of words is powerful, and readily brings an image to mind.

The poem that struck me today is "The Road Not Taken," especially the final stanza, which reads "I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

It deals with the time of life that I'm in right now. I'm getting ready to follow a career path, and am having to chose between different "roads" that my life could take. Looking back on my decision, I'll probably engage in some longing for knowledge of what "the other road" would have brought me, but, hopefully, I'll mostly sigh with contentment, knowing that the road I chose was the best.

3 comments:

  1. Let me suggest that it might be too early to "follow" a career path. Finding a career path sounds so final ... There are hundreds and hundreds of career paths that one can choose. How could it be possible, for one so young and full of life to know all those that might have some great interest. Plus ... The world is changing too rapidly for most people to pick the "correct career path" ... up front ... and then stick with it through life. When one is young, it just might be that a "career path' is NOT the optimum way to approach adulthood. Perhaps even more important, it might matter not WHAT one does to make an honest living (the career path)but more importaltly how WELL one does with the opportunities that are presented along life's journey. The secret to success might probably be to do whatever work pleases you and that presents personal opportunities for growth and compassion. THEN ... do each opportunity presented the best way possible. When we have mastered one job ... and there is no further personal satisfaction ... move on and find a new opportunity that will further expand your passion for the things you love to do. For me, it might be a waste of time to study career paths only to have opportunity that I didn't even know was possible, pass me by because I was focused on a different career path.

    TJC

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that life doesn't start with a "career path". The transition to adulthood first starts with a job ... ANY job ... It is the work experience that is valuable, not dreaming about what might be 'best'. Of course, the first job must be honest work, but it matters less WHAT work would be done, than it does to do the job WELL. It is ALWAYS easier to find a new job when you are working than it is to find a job when you are unemployed. Let the first job show you what you like about work and vice versa. One must first learn HOW to work ... long before she can demand the luxury of finding a better job. Good workers ... people that have developed a good work ethic ... are ALWAYS in demand ... in any career path one may finally choose as our skills and knowledge advance.

    TJC

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some good advice, TJC. :) I'll keep my eyes open as I begin to explore all that ASU has to offer!

    ReplyDelete