Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Are you worth it?

Worth. Self worth. It's an incredible topic. It's also a sore spot. When people really take time to think about how they value themselves, if they really think they're worth it, it opens up a world of insecurities. Deep down, I think we all are struggling with if we're good enough, or if we're worth something. We each have our own way of dealing with what we find, but the question is still there.

This is something that's been on my mind for a while now. That is, since February, when I was suddenly confronted with the revelation that I didn't believe in me, didn't trust that I was worth it. Let me tell you, it was not a pleasant experience. Ever since that day, I've noticed Insecurity rearing it's ugly head all around me. Once I really stopped and looked at me, that is, alllllll of me(insecurities, failures, successes, strengths) I found ME. And it was almost like I was seeing myself for the first time.

I was afraid to accept everything about me. Afraid to embrace it all, because it's not all pretty stuff. In the moment that I found ME, I began to really understand Jesus. Me and Jesus, yeah, we're buddies and we have been for as long as I can remember. This was a profoundly different experience though. Think about it: Jesus Christ fell. GOD FELL! He fell 3 times. And each time, He got up. He got up, and kept walking towards His death.

Now tell me, how does that make sense? No. It really doesn't. Plain and simple. And that's God. He doesn't make sense. But He does. I love it!!!! "The foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." God is the King of Contradictions; He brings us out of our natural inclinations, and draws us up into our higher, better, spiritual nature. What He says makes sense but doesn't at the same time. Somehow, that is a beautiful wonderful, powerful, crazy awesome thing!

My main point is this: everyone struggles with feeling worthy or wanted. Guess what? You are good. I'll say it again. You are good. You don't have to earn it, you don't have to do anything at all, in fact. Simply because you are, simply because you exist, you are good.

Wanna know why Jesus was crazy enough to get up 3 times? Wanna know why He embraced His Cross? Wanna know why He kept getting up, and walking to His death?
It was for you.
You don't have to do anything, or be anything.
He thinks you're worth it. 
If God, the Creator of the universe, the Source of all that is good, thinks you're worth it, believe me, my friend, you are.

1 comment:

  1. To S. L. Kelly ....

    Your headline, ARE YOU WORTH IT?", caught my eye and I would like to know more. What do you mean by "IT"? Further into your writing you state, "struggling with if we are good enough" ... good enough for what?

    Your writing has left me in a quandry. You ask many questions that contain no subject? Am I good enough to be what? ... an engineer? ... a parent .... a driver of automobiles? ... a grandfather? ... a school teacher .... Without a subject your questions have no meaning. No wonder you are confused about, ARE YOU WORTH IT?" ... Perhaps people struggle with feelimg wanted ... I won't argue with that .... but I could easily argue with, "are we worth something." I'm lost again in your words ... worth something? to whom? ... to others? to my parents? to my customers? to my country? to myself? to my teachers? Each of these questions has a subject and an answer ... but they MUST have a subject to make sense.

    The answers rest with ME ... always .... not the subject and certainly not with anyone else. We always KNOW if we are worth something to others ... and to ourselves. The key to the happiness road is always finding ways to be worth MORE to myself and to others - every day.

    Are you "good enough"? To be a wonderful wife and mother ... in my opinion YES.

    However, are you "good enough" to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company ... absolutely not ... not at this time ... Could you gain the skills necessary to be one in the future ... ABSOLUTELY!

    For what it's worth ...

    TJC

    ReplyDelete