Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Stand in the gap!

I've always loved the phrase and accompanying image of standing in the gap. Let me walk you through what I picture when I hear that phrase:
There's complete and utter darkness about to engulf a lone person. This person is completely bowed down, unable to lift their head; everything about them bespeaks weariness. They aren't alone though. There's someone standing over them. This person has his arms spread, forcibly keeping the darkness at bay, as if by the sheer power of his will. Everything about him is strong and determined. With his arms spread wide, he takes every blow delivered. He doesn't flinched or cry out. He simply stands his ground, taking the hits while the weary person rests. He shields and protects them.

So yeah. In that simple phrase, I found a fascination and power that I can only very poorly describe. Actually, this image brings tears to my eyes every time. It's so incredibly beautiful.

My clients have been through Hell; their lives are often living nightmares. Some of them have been almost beaten to death. Some have been completely abandoned, and left to barely survive on their own. And those are practically standard cases. Despite all of that, there are people fighting for them. These people exist to make horrendous visions disappear. They exist to bring light, peace, joy, healing, and strength back into life. I have come to an even deeper appreciation of God because I've seen this process. Why did my clients have to experience Hell? I don't know. What I do know is that God hasn't abandoned them; He's placed people in their lives that can make life livable and beautiful again. I've been able to witness, first hand, this incredible advocacy. There is help. There is a way out. There is a chance for healing and growth. Nothing is impossible.

Love can bring about incredible changes. Loving someone involves a certain amount of vulnerability. It means being willing to reach out, even when there's a chance of getting hurt. Love isn't easy, but it kind of is. To love is to sacrifice, but it doesn't always feel like one. Yes, life is hard. Yes, bad things happen, things that no one should ever have to experience. It's not hopeless though. There are people who can and will help. They will never stop fighting, because they have truth and justice on their side. Yes, it's an exhausting fight, but seeing someone set free makes it totally worth it!

Don't be afraid to fight on the front lines, because you'll never fight alone. Jesus Christ is there, with the angels and the saints. The darkness cannot overcome Him. Fight on! Stand strong! We will have the victory.

2 comments:

  1. >>"Why did my clients have to experience Hell?"

    Because satan hates us all. And unfortunately, the kingdom of darkness rules this world. But the people of GOD must rise in the name of Jesus Christ! This is the only name that they fear and respect.

    "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."--Ephesians 6:12-13

    "I am the way, the truth, and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me."--John 14:6

    I disagree with some parts of your ideology, Stephanie. However, I think you're just an awesome person, because you're obviously trying to make a positive difference in the lives of all these afflicted people! You're an amazing athlete, and just a wonderful person altogether. I'm honored to call you one of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The description you have provided regarding your clients "having been through hell" ... is seemingly a never ending part of society.

    Have you ever thought of the fact that governments already have the power to completely stop all the problems you see and cater too every day? Yet, the governments don't do that ... the problem continues from generation to generation to generation. Why do you suppose that is the case?

    TJC

    ReplyDelete