Thursday, October 25, 2012

Don't just react; live!

I started doing an assessment with my clients. It reviews how they were raised and how they are raising their kids, what's currently going well for them and what's not going so well. Most importantly, it asks what their "perfect world" would look like, and then details a few simple steps for them to get there. This got me thinking.

Time flies. Seriously. I'm trying to remember the last time that I actually noticed the date and consciously realized what I was doing. I'm finding, more and more, that I'm becoming reactionary. I see what the day throws at me, and I try to handle it as best I can. I feel like I'm being too passive in "seizing the moment" so to speak. I want this to change.

Think about your "perfect world". What would it look like? What would you do? How would you spend your time? Guess what. You can do it in real life too. The intangible can become reality; it takes discipline and conscious effort.

I'll give you an example. Currently, I'd like my day to look something like this: Get up early. Run about 4 or 5 miles. Workout for 30min. Spend an hour in prayer. Work and do my visits until 5. Have the evening to do activities(soccer, volleyball, etc) and read(spiritual works, psychology, counseling, Dickens, etc).

See? That's totally doable. In order for it to happen though, I have to cut out the unnecessary distractions, such as TV(why are TV shows soooo addicting?! haha).

All this to say that I'd like to encourage to take back your life. Don't just react; live! Work towards achieving your perfect world.

No comments:

Post a Comment